Thursday, October 4, 2007

Why survey only wives of diabetics?

Got a great question from someone the other day. Why am I choosing to focus on wives of Type I diabetics and not on husbands? Well, the rationale behind the choice is that research has shown that female spouses of persons with chronic illnesses seem to be more maritally dissatisfied than male spouses of persons with chronic illnesses. Of course, this research has not been conducted specifically with persons with diabetes. So, the results may vary depending on the chronic illness. Once I have completed my study, I will focus on male spouses. However, I must first get enough participants to complete this study! I think it is essential to collect information from both female and male spouses and I hope to be able to focus on husbands next.

No comments: